Grade Level: 6
Duration: 4 term / 40 weeks / Approx. 1 – 1 ½ hr per week
# of Pages: 159
Format: Word Format.
Delivery: Download &/ or Dropbox.
Includes: Unit Summary, Lesson Plans & associated Worksheets.
Australia as a Nation: Everyone Matters. Everyone Belongs: Students learn about the way of life of people who migrated to Australia and their contributions to Australia’s economic and social development. They will examine the lives of individuals who played a big part in creating the Australia that we know today. Work will be completed as a class, in small groups and individually.
Australia as a Nation: Migration Matters: Australia is a multicultural nation. People come from all over the world to migrate to this country. The reasons for moving are many and varied and some of these ideas will be looked at more closely by analyzing push and pull factors. Students will learn about the way of life of people who migrated to Australia, both before and after their move, through reading the stories of individuals.
They will also look into their own family backgrounds to discover their heritage, connecting their own past with that of the migration of their ancestors.
Australia as a Nation: Federation of Our Nation: Throughout this term, students will learn about how Australia evolved from being separate colonies with separate laws, economy and regulations, to being the nation we have today through Federation. Comparisons between Australia, the USA and the UK will be drawn. Key elements of Australia’s system of law and government and their origins will be discovered. Key people and events of Federation will be introduced. Finally, students will select an individual to research and present a speech about their importance and involvement in the development of the Australian society we have today.
(ACARA) The Year 6 curriculum moves from colonial Australia to the development of Australia as a nation, particularly after 1900. Students explore the factors that led to Federation and experiences of democracy and citizenship over time. Students understand the significance of Australia’s British heritage, the Westminster system, and other models that influenced the development of Australia’s system of government.
Australia as a Nation: Status & Rights, Democracy & Citizenship: This term the focus will be on democracy and citizenship. Students will learn about basic human rights as well as what it means to be a citizen. They will conduct a role play to have a taste of what it is like to have no rights. Following this, students will learn about what life was like for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and the effects of their lack of citizenship rights. This learning will be extended to include the status and rights of women, children and migrants in Australia’s past. To complete the unit, students will choose an area of interest to themselves to research in more depth (Indigenous people, women, children, migrants and their lack of rights) as well as the people who fought for equality in 20th century Australia.
BEFORE YOU BUY, check our facebook page for sales or promotions that might on at the moment: www.facebook.com/justteachAUS
1. We often include extra links within our resources for your convenience. If a link expires, in most cases the resource is still functional.
2. We conduct audits on our Term Packs every 6 months to validate the links we have included. Lesson Plans, Unit Summaries and Worksheet resources will no longer be available after January 2015.
3. From now on, amended resources will not be sent out manually. They will be uploaded to Content Shelf where you can access the amended resource/s via your User Dashboard. Follow us on facebook to be informed when Audit have been completed.
4. If you have just purchased a resource and find a link has been deleted by its author, please email us and we will find a replacement within 48hrs. This service is available for the first 6 months after original purchase. After 6 months, you will need to wait for the 6 monthly audit.
5. We understand that when links expire it causes frustration to everyone, including us. If you discover dead links within a resource and email us satisfactory alternate links to make the resource current, we will give you 10% discount on your next purchase.