Grade Level: 8 (due to Holocaust themes)
Duration: 1 term / 10 weeks / Approx. 5 x 40 minute lessons per week
# of Pages: 8
Format: Word Format.
Novel studies are the ideal way to introduce students to the concept of creating another “world" in their mind. As a reader, they can experience this new world and thereby study and learn from the characters; their weaknesses and strengths, particularly in relation to their words and actions (or lack thereof). As this is a novel study, aspects such as plot, style, themes and characters will be analysed, while developing in students the ability to relate to situations they would not otherwise contemplate. Also considered is the perspective from which the story is told and the manner in which the author invites the reader to sympathise with some characters and dislike others.
Note: In this instance, it would be beneficial to the students to cover some of the key aspects of the time frame in which this story is set prior to them commencing reading.
Literacy | Intercultural understanding | Personal and social capability | Critical and creative thinking | Ethical behaviour
Cross Curriculum Priorities: Sustainability
Sequence of Learning Activities:
Introducing the novel – the background
· Complete an orientation lesson based on WWII, Nazi Germany, Hitler and the Holocaust. Following this, provide students with a research task where they can learn more about this time for themselves. (See lesson plan for more info)
· Pre reading predictions based on the cover and the blurb
Reading and studying the novel
· Read the novel and answer specific questions to analyse details of the author’s work, the characters, the setting, the themes etc
Analyse the novel
· Revise essay writing then complete individual writing tasks.
Film study (optional)
Watch the film, note taking on similarities/differences, analyse storyline/characters/setting etc
BEFORE YOU BUY, check our facebook page for sales or promotions that might on at the moment: www.facebook.com/justteachAUS
1. We often include extra links within our resources for your convenience. If a link expires, in most cases the resource is still functional.
2. We conduct audits on our Term Packs every 6 months to validate the links we have included. Lesson Plans, Unit Summaries and Worksheet resources will no longer be available after January 2015.
3. From now on, amended resources will not be sent out manually. They will be uploaded to Content Shelf where you can access the amended resource/s via your User Dashboard. Follow us on facebook to be informed when Audit have been completed.
4. If you have just purchased a resource and find a link has been deleted by its author, please email us and we will find a replacement within 48hrs. This service is available for the first 6 months after original purchase. After 6 months, you will need to wait for the 6 monthly audit.
5. We understand that when links expire it causes frustration to everyone, including us. If you discover dead links within a resource and email us satisfactory alternate links to make the resource current, we will give you 10% discount on your next purchase.